Friday, January 30, 2009

Rotisserie-Style Turkey

This recipe was inspired by the Rotisserie-Style Chicken recipe over at A Year of Crockpotting, which I have made and I loved, but I significantly altered the spice combination to better suit the turkey thighs I got on sale after the holidays. If it wasn't for that blog, I never would have thought that a slow cooker could make poultry crisp up just like an oven does. It's like magic!

Slow Cooker Rotisserie-Style Turkey

2 large frozen turkey thighs, bone in, skin on
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp dried sage
1/3 tsp cayenne
1 tsp parsley
  1. Place turkey thighs in the slow cooker, arranging them so that the lid of the cooker will fit and they are overlapping as little as possible.
  2. In a small bowl, mix salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, sage, cayenne, and parsley until well-blended.
  3. Rub spice mixture over the outside of the turkey pieces, coating them generously. If some falls into the bottom of the cooker, don't worry, it won't burn.
  4. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours. Some drippings will accumulate in the bottom of the cooker, but do not drain them during cooking time.
  5. Serve over rice.
I am not a fan of spicy-hot food, and I really enjoyed this. The little bit of cayenne is just enough for flavour, but not enough to add zip, so if you like more heat in your food, I'd double the amount listed above. However, the proportions I used made for lots of flavour and meat that was so tender it fell off the bone. Keeping the drippings in for the whole cooking time prevented the meat from drying out and also kept the wayward spice particles that didn't stick to the meat from burning onto the stoneware. I cooked my thighs directly from the freezer, so they were frozen solid. I would reduce cooking time by 1-2 hours on low (1/2 hour to an hour on high) if fresh turkey is used.

I love my slow cooker. No fuss, hardly any mess, and food that appears to have been carefully monitored all day long with almost no real work.

No comments:

Post a Comment