Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mario Washcloth!

When I finished my Scottie Washcloth project, I discovered that I had way, way overestimated the quantity of black accent yarn I needed. What on Earth was I supposed to do with piles and piles of black, dishcloth-quality cotton yarn?

I'm a take-lemons-make-lemonade sort of person, so I designed a new washcloth pattern. Since the yarn is black, I figured something unusual was in order, so I chose to knit a Mario washcloth. After all, I am a part of a generation that grew up with Super Mario World.


It's-a the Mario Washcloth!

Pattern:

The finished product is 44 stitches wide and 61 rows long. I went a little unorthodox on the charting and worked the raised-stitch pattern from right to left instead of from bottom to top as is conventional. I found that way easier to chart so that it turned out looking correct.

CO 44 stitches. Knit three rows. The next row (row 4) will be a WS row and the first row of the pattern chart (click to enlarge):


Start and end every row with K2. For the 40 stitches in between the edge stitches, follow the chart. Blank spaces are knit stitches for RS rows and purl stitches for WS rows. Dots are purl stitches for RS rows and knit stitches for WS rows.

After the chart is finished, you should be about to start a RS row. Knit this row and the next two (three rows total), then BO with knit stitches.

VoilĂ ! It's a bathroom accessory worthy of a Nintendo geek.

(Psst! Looking for the other Mario-gang washcloth designs? There are also Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Boo patterns available!)

10 comments:

  1. This is awesome.

    I'm planning on making up the set of these as a gift. What size yarn/needles did you use for these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwen.

    I used S. R. Kertzer CoolSpun Cotton yarn for all my test cloths, but any cotton will do if they are to be washcloths, and most washcloth yarn is worsted weight and recommends 4.5 mm needles (which is, I believe, a US #7). For blanket squares, any yarn that shows raised patterns well is an option, and just using the needle size recommended on the ball band should work out fine.

    Happy knitting!

    ~PD

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this!!! I crochet and knit dishcloths for neighbours every Christmas (they have even started asking me what cloth I have for them this year! lol) and THIS is perfect for friends down the street that are self-proclaimed "Gamer Geeks"!!! I know she will LOVE it and I can't wait to start!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can someone help me? i'm new to knitting and i'd love to knit this but i cant follow the chart. can someone write it out for me so i can understand it? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great!

    Will you be making any more? I've been using these charts to make a blanket, but 7 isn't enough. I hope you will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! I have since stopped using the blog and all my patterns are available for free as pdf files (now with both charts and written directions!) on Ravelry.com - my username there is peridragon and I have an eighth design (Goomba) up and available since February of this year. I plan to make at least 10 altogether, but I cannot be sure when more will be available.

    Thank you for your interest!

    ~PD

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first part of starting any new site is picking the niche you want it to be in hotel marrakech. My biggest criteria for this case study was finding a niche that should be fairly easy to get some traction in rapidleech servers, so I went for something pretty obscure pnr status. I don’t know how much money is here, so I’m taking a chance therescrapebox. But all techniques stay the same adwords coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your amazing Mario washcloth and wanted to reach out! I am a community management assistant at Instructables.com, the largest project-sharing site with well over 60k projects all submitted by our users, and I just know our community would love to see this project!

    I wanted to give you a shout out and let you know about the Game.Life 2 Challenge we have going on right now. We're giving away some great prizes including a Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga Classic Cocktail Table Arcade Game and 3 Sony PSs and I think your washcloth would be a great entry!  You can find out more about the challenge here:  http://www.instructables.com/contest/gamelife2/

    I would be happy to feature it on our site if you decide to post the instructions and help get it noticed among our over 13 million visitors. Let me know if you have any questions.

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    Best,
    Nicole
    rocksmith@instructables.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the great work.

    Grommet Curtains

    ReplyDelete