Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Bread

I improvised this recipe on New Year's Eve while getting ready to have people over. I knew some of the people would be staying over, so I needed a breakfast plan. I had already organized omelet ingredients, but I thought we could use a bread to go with them, and I thought something sweet would be nice. It disappeared so quickly that I didn't get a photo of it before it was gone!

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Bread

6 tbsp water
6 tbsp milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups flour
3 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup chocolate chips
2 1/2 tsp yeast
  1. Place all ingredients in bread machine in the order listed above.
  2. Set for 1/2 lb or 2 lb loaf, white bread cycle, light crust and start.
  3. Double-check the consistency of the bread during the first mixing cycle. If it is sticking to the sides too much, add flour, and if it is too dry, add a little bit of milk or water. (I found that the generous amount of cinnamon made it a little dry, so I added more milk.)
I found that in my machine the chocolate chips survived intact. If your machine tends to melt them down, I would wait to add them until the second mixing cycle, because otherwise the chocolate might overwhelm the cinnamon flavour if it's all mixed together. We toasted the bread and put butter on it, and it was a big hit.

The funny story associated with this is that I had a small panic attack after the second mixing cycle when it looked like it wasn't going to rise at all. Don't panic if this happens to you! I suspect it just was due to the greater mass of the bread with all those chocolate chips. It turned out fine in the end - plenty big and not too dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment