Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Italian Mozzarella Bread

I love experimenting with the bread machine. Of course, at first I was careful to exactly follow all the directions and only use recipes exactly as they were... but then there were some mini-disasters that came from major screwups, and I realized that bread is more flexible than I thought. It doesn't hurt that I'm in Canada and I can used all-purpose flour to make bread (no expensive bread flour for me!), so if I make some kind of blackened or gooey mess, it's not the end of the world. But so far, I haven't done that! And that includes the recipe I made up today, despite the fact that I sort of combined two recipes from different sources and then messed with the proportions from there.


I call it...


Italian Mozzarella Bread

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups (bread) flour
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp dried onion flakes
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
2 1/3 tsp yeast
  1. Place ingredients in bread machine in the order listed above.
  2. Set machine for white bread, light or medium crust. This will work for either a 1 1/2 lb or a 2 lb loaf setting.
  3. Double-check the consistency of the dough during the first mixing cycle. Ensure that it is not crumbly, but it does not stick to the sides - I have listed approximately how much water I used, since mine was very dry at first, but climates and machines vary, so double-check that the dough is forming correctly before leaving it to cook.

I only have one word to say: YUM. This made my whole place smell good and it has a strong, but not overpowering flavour. I like it just with butter, but it would compliment a meatball sandwich quite nicely, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment