Monday, November 10, 2008

Idea...

Right now I'm working on a Tempting variation for myself, but the *K2, P2* repeat *...* ad infinitum is making me a little crazy. I need my next project to be challenging, and possibly my own design, because the simplicity is nice for early clothing attempts, but it's also getting old fast.

I saw my Ravelry friend Knitivity is making a "Reconciliation Scarf", a symbol of reconnecting Democrats and Republicans now that the US election is over. I like the idea, and the tricolour cable reminded me of my bygone attempts at cabling with intarsia in the past. I've been wanting to design a cable pattern of my own above and beyond braids and twists, and, being into politics, it seems appropriate. However, I'm thinking I can put a Canadian spin on it. Using a black background colour, I could do something similar, except with blue, red, orange, light blue, and green (and light green, and dark green, and purple...).

I could make it historical, with colours separating from the main cable when the party won an election over time, or snarky, by putting "before 2008 election" on one side, followed by an amalgamation and cable in the middle, then separating the colours again into "after 2008 election" on the other side (with the same order, of course), or just plain pretty, with an elaborate cable incorporating those colours. Maybe I could even superimpose relative changes in popular support over the course of the election, assuming the changes were significant enough to be visually appealing. This shows seat distributions over time, which might be interesting, and this shows popular support, which might give a more interesting picture. However, there are three different parties that have used the colour green, which is kind of a pain. Social Credit might have to be turquoise. Or maybe neon green. But I think that popular vote one is probably what I'll do.

It's an idea, anyway. Maybe once I have some spare time and some spare cash I'll whip something up (okay, carefully plan and painstakingly chart something up) and see how it looks. What's the point of being in a country with a multiparty system if you can't make pretty knitted things with the historical polling data?

No comments:

Post a Comment