Thursday, November 20, 2008

Herbed Sweet Potato Fries

According to my mother, as a baby I seemed to have a major preference for orange food, especially carrots and sweet potatoes (a.k.a. yams). Although we didn't cook them much once I was on solid food, I've rediscovered sweet potatoes on my own as an adult and I can't get enough of them. Over time, I've developed a sweet potato recipe that involves cutting sweet potatoes like fries, but baking them and flavouring them more like Shake-n-Bake potatoes. Only better.

Herbed Sweet Potato Fries

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into long, thin strips like fries
olive oil
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp granulated garlic (which has the texture of garlic salt rather than powder, but without all that salt)
  1. Preheat oven to 350oF. Cover a baking tray with foil.
  2. Place cut-up sweet potatoes on the tray and use a small amount of olive oil to just coat them. Sprinkle spices evenly over fries.
  3. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turn, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft and bright orange.
These are fast and easy with very little cleanup (throw out that foil and you're done!), and they are a great complement to beef, pork, and chicken, making them a cure for "now that we have this meat, what are we going to eat with it?" disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment