Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Italian Meatballs

When extra-lean ground beef goes on sale, but only in the 2 kg jumbo value packs, what does the cook for the 2-person household do?

Why, she makes 80 meatballs and makes up a recipe as she goes! Then she freezes them to eat later, leaving the boyfriend to wonder what all that cooking was for if there's nothing for dinner.

I'm big on spices and herbs, so I used marjoram, oregano, and basil to give my meatballs some flavour. I didn't think of garlic until I sat down to write this, and I'm not a huge onion fan, so that's all I put in, flavour-wise. However, they turned out better than any other meatballs I've ever made!

Italian Meatballs Recipe

2 kg (approx 4.5 lbs) extra-lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (I used store-bought ones since I bake my own bread at home)
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp basil

2 tbsp marjoram

  1. Preheat the oven to 400oF. Place the ground beef in a large bowl and let it warm up a little bit. (Cold ground beef hurts your fingers when you mix it - trust me.) Measure the bread crumbs into a small bowl and the spices into another bowl so that you won't have to wash your hands between additions.
  2. Mix the ground beef with your hands, adding the bread crumbs and the spice mixture alternately until they are all mixed in. Blend well, adjusting the amounts slightly until the mixture sticks together well and is easy to roll.
  3. Roll the mixture into 1" meatballs. Bake in a single layer in the oven for ten minutes or until cooked through and brown on the bottom. Let cool.

This made 81 meatballs for me. I froze 75 of them in portions of 15 for dinner/lunch combinations later, leaving 6 whole meatballs for tonight (so yes, I did feed the hungry boyfriend). I had to completely rearrange my freezer to make room for all the containers of meatballs:

Mmm... meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment