Monday, September 22, 2008

Funky Cell Phone Holder

Well, I may as well start off this new blog with the first knitting pattern I've ever made from scratch!

I was bored on a Sunday back in January and decided to knit myself a cell phone holder, since I'd broken my old cell phone nine months earlier and I wanted to protect my new one from a similar fate. I made the pattern up as I went, and I used yarn that my mom gave me as scraps. It turned out surprisingly great!



This is the end result (in reality the phone doesn't stick out; it fits nicely all the way inside. I just wanted to illustrate which way was up).


This is what it looks like closed up properly.

Pattern:


Weight: Medium*

*I used two different colours of the same lightweight yarn and knitted them twisted together. Medium weight is just an estimate of the yarn weight from that.
Gauge: A 1" x 1" (2.5 x 2.5 cm) square is 5 stitches by 8 rows.

Pocket:

CO 27 stitches. Transfer to 3 dpns. Knit in the round until you get about an inch from the bottom of the cell phone. On the next row, dec 3 stitches evenly. Knit around once. *Dec 6 stitches evenly; knit around once.* Rep *...* until 12 stitches are left. Pull yarn through stitches and pull together. Sew in end.

Flap:

Pick up 10 consecutive stitches along one side of the cast on stitches of the pocket. Knit 2 rows, then continue in stockinette stitch. Insert cell phone to test desired length and continue until flap pulled over the opening reaches about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the opposite side. Bind off, leaving a relatively long end; do not sew in end yet.

Finishing:

Sew a button onto the side of the pouch where the flap will be secured, far enough below it that securing the flap will cause it to be slightly pulled, keeping the opening closed.

Using a wool needle, take the end from binding off the flap and use it to encircle the button. Pull tightly and sew the end into the opposite side of the flap securely. Twist the remaining yarn around the line holding the flap around the button and sew the end into the side with the original bind-off point, eventually sewing it in completely. Sew in any other loose ends.

That's it!

I love projects that only take a few hours to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment