Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Atheist Quote of the Week 1

One of the first things I did when I moved into my very first apartment off-campus in university was mock the bible-quoting people who had lived in residence with me by plastering my tiny room with many brightly-coloured atheist quotes. Some were funny, some were offensive, and some were sort of out of context (hey, at least I've figured that out since). Since I can't plaster my current apartment with them (although I'd do it in a second if I didn't care about offending the boyfriend's parents, I kid you not), I'll find a good one and post it here every week until I run out. Which will probably be... never, since I found this site that has over 2000 available, and that would last about 40 years of weekly quotes. Gotta love the internet. From now on, I'll try to get these up every Monday.

This week's quote is a classic that sums up why, as a preteen, I realized I was an atheist:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

~Epicurus

No comments:

Post a Comment